Monday, June 13, 2016

First Day...

We started over today with a homeschool routine with a sizable daily screen break for all of us. I am seeking to connect more with the people in my home and to limit distractions that wheedle their way in from the outside world via screens. It's so hard for me. The internet is the connection to my mommy support system. But I've got three -- soon to be four -- little souls looking to me and I owe them much more of me than they've been getting lately.


This was my handwritten journal entry today during screen free time.

6/13/16
The First Day of the Rest of Our Lives

I can't say I blame him for his skepticism. Mikey says I can't go without screens. The urge to Facebook the interaction removes any defense I have. I will try, I say. All I can do is try.

It's never too late. We can start over. We can do better. I can have the close, happy, engaged, interesting family that I want to have.

I do not need to Facebook this.

I need to actually live this.

I can't stop the hate and disconnection out there in the world. I can't fix the worldwide sickness that makes people hurt and kill each other.

But I can build up the love and connection here at home. If I want them to read, I have to read. If I want them to write, I have to write. If I want them to find and pursue their passions, I must have passions.

Mikey's reading about Beethoven
Joey's practicing [writing the letter] "g"
Cece's doing the castle book.

And we're all doing alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment